Requirements for a Major in History
Requirements for a major in History
A total of 11 courses (44 credits) as follows:
- History 300 (The Historian’s Craft)
- History 485 (Senior Seminar)
- Nine (9) additional courses at the 100, 200, 300, and 400 levels, selected according to the following principles:
- Of the nine courses, no more than two sections of History 105 may be taken.
- Of the nine courses, at least two must be seminar courses at the 300 level.
- Of the nine courses, at least two must be seminar courses at the 400 level.
- Of the nine courses taken at all levels, at least one must be taken in five of the six areas listed below:
- History of Asia
- History of Europe
- Global/Comparative History
- History of Latin America
- History of North Africa/Middle East
- History of the United States
- Of the nine courses taken at all levels, at least one must concentrate in the period prior to 1500 CE. The following courses meet that requirement: History 211, 212, 213, 222, 223, 271, 282, 293, 311, 312, 313, and 375. (There may be special topics as well.)
- Humanities 201 (History Track) counts as a 200-level history course, although it does not fulfill one of the area requirements listed above.
Credit earned through AP or IB does not fulfill the requirements of the major or minor but does count toward the 128 credits required for graduation.
Printed from: https://catalog.rhodes.edu/programs-study/history/requirements-major-history