A total of nine courses (36 credits) above 201 as follows:
- German 301 and 302. Must be taken before any other 300-level course is attempted but may be taken concurrently with others. German 305 taken abroad may be substituted for one of these.
- German 320 and 321 (each must be taken in conjunction with one credit of 311.)
- Two of the following: German 340-348 (Students who wish to count these toward the German major will do portions of the work in German.)
- German 409 (topics vary.)
- German 202 may be applied to the major unless a student places into a higher level course in the curriculum.
- One of the following courses may be applied to the major: German 240-248. (Students who wish to count these toward the German major will do portions of the work in German.)
- German 486 (Senior Paper). Required for majors.
Majors are strongly encouraged to participate in the exchange program with the University of Tübingen, the University of Landau, or with a departmentally approved ISEP program during their junior years; equivalent courses from there will be accepted as substitutes.
Recommended: A second foreign language; related courses in English, international studies, philosophy, and history.